Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Student Work


..by one of Jess Jones' students...her exercise: 
I have a 2D project that I learned from my adviser and it involves collage. In my class it reads: "Making no arbitrary cuts, cut out whole images (as whole as possible) from magazines and by their configuration make them all lose their identities." So, the connection across the images should be stronger than our brains' desire to separate them. The students learn the value of order to convey chaos (I use the analogy that when I describe a random event, I don't use random words) I attached two (of the good) images. 


She continues: "My rule with teaching the exercise to students is... you have to make 6. The first one must be terrible (this makes them forget the fear of making something for the first time). Those are the #5 or #6 from two students. It takes a long time to get to that point- at least 2 weeks. Also, non-arbitrary cuts are contours, really- and cutting along them actually helps complete the assignment. Those are 18x18, so start large. Remember that some things never lose their identity: logos, faces (of clocks, cars, people, etc), eyeballs, most circles, hair, human figure, etc. Your brain can't help but spot them. National Geographic is the best for this project. A single magazine can make 18x18 easy."

No comments: