Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I have found that 1 Shot collages are a lot like haiku, for the act of both involve a speed, a fluid confidence in image choice, cut, placement and glue. They are like little magic tricks, or fireworks, or a really good pass made on a fastbreak, a lookaway bounce pass to the man cutting to the basket, right up at his chest so he can take it in motion and jam the thing with one step.  

I limited myself, on the spot decision, to only an old picked-through Life (the one soon after Kennedy was shot), a Marvel Superhero Gallery of Villains and some old floral magazine from the 60s or 70s. 

I started seeing a pattern between 3 sets of three and arranged the images accordingly, keeping Superheros and Celebrities on the wings. Flowers in the middle. Seemed like a good thing to have a balance of men and women. Words could come through from the now famous postcard set with supposedly sultry and sassy quotes on them, but not many and only if they somehow gave me a sense of how I'd title the thing. Mostly matching by eye, color, mood, cheeze-factor (needed to by high), etc. I had the set for some other project (Literary Hero Cards: Andre "the Giant" Gide, Albert "The Blade" Camus, stuff like that) but it stalled and I finally gave in. They were near at hand when the 1 Shot Craze swept my nation.

1 Shots, by nature, must be bold, either in theme, color or camp. You have to make a joke but can't try too hard. You want it to look cool. As if you were making a set of playing cards or tarot cards or superhero all-star baseball team cards.

Take it from there.

No comments: